Sunday, December 22, 2013

Evie's 5th Birthday

Our girl had a great time on her 5th birthday.  We had a joint party with another little girl from her school, as they both had birthdays surrounding the weekend.  We rented the gym club, same as last year, and it worked out very well.  The other mom is very much into party planning, and so she looked after a lot of the details, great for me, as I was still in recuperation mode from my appendectomy.



OK, DON'T look at the right side of the picture!  My kitchen is still in deconstruction mode, and that is insulation and wiring and God only knows what else hanging off the walls.

What you should see is my beautiful girl stirring up the mix for her cake.  She LOVES to help in this way with any cooking and food prep.


This is the result of our labours.  I attempted a fondant icing this year, no didn't take a course or anything, hence the imperfections.  This stuff isn't too bad to work with, but I haven't figured out how to deal with the excess when you fold it over.  Evie helped me stick the "pearls" in, the ones on top are supposed to be snowflakes.  We added candles later.  

One thing I didn't like about the fondant is that I had to cover the cake somehow till the following day...I don't have a container big enough, so I got creative with Lego blocks, making a frame on which to lay Saran wrap over.  It worked!                                                                                                  



Although the kids liked the cake just fine (it was half chocolate, half white cake inside), I must say the fondant tastes like crap.




The gym portion of the party.  It's kind of hard to take action shots here.  Evie is trying to get her little friend to pose with her.  He is a boy that she likes rather a lot, admitting to me one day that she had kissed him on the cheek.  By his reaction here, he probably didn't like it.  But good girl Evie, got to keep those men organized and in order!

I don't think the spots on this picture are ghosts, as some people say when they see them.  I think it is just dirt on my lens.  Either that or that gym club is terribly haunted.  The ghosts of past Nadia Comenicis...oooooh.

Anyhow, I can relax for another year, and try to think up a new idea and venue before then, as she'll probably have new interests.






No comments:

Post a Comment