Saturday, November 2, 2013

As For the Rest of the Autumn....

There is so much to write about, and some of you know about the events of our autumn, but I'll put it down here anyways.

We have been extremely lucky.  We could have lost our beautiful boy in the early morning of September 1st, but he was spared.  Instead, his very close friend Aaron, who was skateboarding behind him, was hit by a drunk driver and killed on impact.

You can only imagine the scope of this tragedy, for Aaron's family, for Skyler and all of his friends.  Our boy had to grow up overnight.  I will not forget when he came home that night, after we'd already had the news...he was just numb.  I sat with him awhile later that morning, when he was texting all of his friends to tell them the sad news.  No one should ever have to do that, especially a kid of 17.

Now, 2 months later, he is doing as well as anyone could.  He went through a deep mourning period, an angry period, now is keeping himself busy, but is getting some counselling to deal with his deeper feelings.  Life goes on; that is what he knows.  But because this is a criminal matter (both men in the vehicle were caught and have been in custody these last 2 months; they have previous records also), things keep coming up. Court dates, remands, etc etc.  I don't know a lot about the legal system, but we do have a witness assistance person who keeps us up to date.  Nonetheless, all of these reminders are not easy for Sky.

He has been a great friend to Aaron's family and a help to them.  He is a great kid, and again, we know how lucky we are.


This pic taken in August, on his 17th birthday, with his adoring sister alongside!


The second major event of the fall was not anywhere near as traumatic, but it has sidelined me for a bit.  I had an appendectomy a few weeks ago, and am still recovering.  When they say 6 weeks, they mean it!  I wasn't in hospital long, but it was enough that the family had to take over my responsibilities.  I am still sore if I overdo it (and that doesn't take a lot; a couple of hours on my feet will do it) so have to leave the heavier tasks to others.  That is frustrating, but I've had to learn patience and tolerance....and a willingness to just "let it go".  In the meantime, I've found time to catch up on my anatomy courses, watch a bunch of Twilight Zone DVD's that had been gathering dust, and the occasional batch of "Storage Wars" on TV.

I have to say that most of Daytime TV is really not my cup of tea.  I also have been getting some reading done instead.  I can think up a million other projects (photo albums for the kids, Evie's Lifebook, etc.) and will try to get around to those too.

I see my surgeon next week, and will be able to go back to doing treatments in another week or two I expect.

Needless to say I celebrated my birthday quietly with family this year!


You'll notice my girl isn't too fond of wearing a shirt once home in the house.  Also note Sean's Halloween decorating.

I don't begrudge the events of the autumn.  It has made us very appreciative of each other in this household.  But I am hoping that the storms of 2013 are over, and we have some peaceful time ahead.



1 comment:

  1. Anne, I'm so sorry for Skyler's friend!! It must have been hard for all of you, even though you must have sighed with relief.
    I hope you're recovering well after your surgery. Take the chance and rest a little, you will miss it when you are on your feet again :)
    I loved the picture where Evie is looking at her brother with such an admiration and love...
    Hoping 2013 has no more bad surprises for yopu and your family. Take care.

    ReplyDelete